Re: crosstool patching, regression testing

Wouter van Heyst wrote:
On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 07:14:35AM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
Nearly all of my patches are to fix a build error,
and many of them are backported from CVS.  My policy
is to apply only patches suitable for inclusion in CVS.
I bend that occasionally (e.g. the gcc-2.95.3 patch to keep
it from putting a .exe on end of files when building on
cygwin isn't the right one, but it's safer).

So my patching is conservative.  When I have time, I
test by running the gcc and glibc regression tests. I
did that especially when testing bugfixes for sh-4.

I've done some regression testing, and done mkjail for a native setup,
but I haven't followed through with doing it for a cross environment.
Now that our board is running ok, I can set it up with more ease I
guess. Do you have any tips for regression testing a crosstoolchain, or
should the following three howtos get me going?

	http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/current/doc/crosstool-howto.html
	http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/current/doc/chroot-login-howto.html
	http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/current/doc/dejagnu-remote-howto.html

Those three howtos are all I have right now. I intend to improve them, but don't have time at the moment. See also demo-runtest.sh, which shows how to run a particular unit test (helpful if you're trying to iterate quickly while testing a fix). See also mkcommon.sh, which builds a bugfixed copy of expect (I'll move that bit into mkdejagnu.sh eventually); the bug it fixes causes occasional spurious test failures (about 0.1% of tests fail more or less repeatably without this fix).

Good luck with the regression testing.  It takes a bit of patience,
and you need to compare results with previous runs (perhaps by others)
because there are a few tests that are expected to fail on some
platforms, but which aren't marked as such in the test suite.
A google search for the failure line from the test log often
turns up interesting stuff.
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com