Re: crosstool-0.28-rc16 doubts

Guild Jackson wrote:

I ´d like to run a crosstool for arm linux in a red
hat 9 linux os and would like to know version of gcc,
glibc and binutils I could use to run it. I´ve
donwloaded the crosstool-0.28-rc16.
Could anyone help me?

Being a dissident in these issues I would ask what could be a suitable crosstoolchain for those currently available ARM/XScale based handheld computers / PDAs ? Must one have a specific Linux/ARM toolchain for all these ? Are there any binary compatability between these, or is the issue like between RedHat and SuSE in Linux/x86, binaries produced for RedHat 9.0 are not guaranteed to run ok on SuSE 9.0 and so on?

 After thinking what most people on this list must be doing
with their individualistic toolchains, it seems that nobody
here thinks to produce any 'rock-solid' binaries for these
existing Linux/ARM systems. But are porting their own Linuces
for their own hardware in order to compete with the existing
PDAs etc.  Or some really would like to do just that but are
mislead to the embedded "hardware and software from scratch"
area... Or the existing Linuces for those PDAs aren't good
enough for them.

 What for instance is the glibc used in those downloadable
distros for Linux/ARM for the HP/Compaq's iPaqs? For the
sold Softfield's and Sharp's ARM/XScale-based PDAs ?

 If one thinks to produce apps for those WinCE or EPOC based
PDAs or communicators, there are no such issues like this
with Linux/ARM, there is only one currently available/used
C library set for WinCE and for EPOC and one must use just
that. Maybe this is also the issue with the NetBSD/ARM.

 For instance what is the glibc used in the new Zaurus SL-5600
with XScale/400MHz and Linux ?

 John Lenz (jelenz@students.wisc.edu) seemed to need a cross-
toolchain for Sharp's Zaurus SL-5600 :

------------------- clip ------------------------------------
Hi.  I was successful in using crosstool 0.28 rc13 to build an
arm-softfloat 3.3.3 cross compiler.  I am using Debian unstable
and the gcc 3.3.3 from debian.

I was also able to run the testsuite on my Zaurus 5600 using the
test.

<snip>

UNRESOLVED: gcc.misc-tests/bprob-2.c compilation,  -Os  -fbranch-probabilities
UNRESOLVED: gcc.misc-tests/bprob-2.c execution,    -Os  -fbranch-probabilities

=== gcc Summary ===

# of expected passes 21397
# of unexpected failures 27
# of unexpected successes 1
# of expected failures 73
# of unresolved testcases 33
# of unsupported tests 205
/home/wuzzeb/crosstool-0.28-rc13/build/arm-softfloat-linux-gnu/gcc-3.3.3-glibc-2.3.2/build-gcc/gcc/xgcc version 3.3.3
------------------- clip ------------------------------------

 So assuming John knowing what he is doing, Zaurus has a plain vanilla
FSF glibc-2.3.2 with just the same ARM patches installed before its build
and has not something special only the 'sharp' engineers had invented...
Otherwise he would have produced quite an usual cross-GCC based on the
Sharp's own Linux-distro for Zaurus SL-5600, taking all the C and C++
libraries from it, including those for the Qtopia GUI...

 Of course anyone getting the GNU binaries, must also get the sources, so
John already had the sources for the Sharp's glibc for Zaurus, but decided
to not use it... Why?

 If I one day would get the idea about producing crosstools for the Sharp's
Zaurus, I would find out where to get the Linux/ARM distro for it. Then take
the glibc and other C libraries, all the X11 and GUI libraries and base my
crosstools on them... This seems to make me a dissident, but this is really
what I have used to do with the Solaris2, SVR4, AIX, Cygwin, MinGW, Linux-
distros etc. proprietary/custom cases... Maybe also makes me a paranoid when
not trusting the bad Linux companies to use the plain vanilla FSF sources
everywhere...

Cheers, Kai