Re: x86_64 with m32 support

Kai Ruottu wrote:
 > Do I just configure, build, and install glibc a second time with another
 > target option (i386) and the same --prefix as the first?

Producing another cross-toolchain for what the '-m32' is wanted to be
could be one way, but with some workarounds using the 'x86_64' target
GCC with '-m32' to build a 32-bit glibc, could also succeed. ...
Ok, using the same $prefix with two, ten, hundred or more cross-GCCs
should work always... But glibc is another thing, I could think the
right order being the 32-bit glibc first, then the 64-bit glibc because
the 64-bit includes probably will support both but 32-bit-only headers
only the 32-bit target...

One of these days I'll try to deal with biarch stuff in crosstool. I suspect, since it's rumored that 32->32 cross tools run faster than 32->64 ones, that you want both, and use -m32 only when it's hard to just run the 32 bit tools. So I'd have the user build the 32->32 toolchain first, then the 32->64 one with multilibbing enabled, then run a little script to copy the 32 bit libraries into the 64 bit tree.

What that script would look like, I'm not sure.  And it would
probably have to do slightly different things for different
chips, since their multilibbing schemes are under no particular
pressure to be similar...
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com