Re: FW: Testing ARM-Linux Toolchain

Stevens, Peter wrote:
I have successfully built a cross compiler tool chain for ARM-Linux. But, I have a few questions about how to
"properly" test it. Given the fact that GCC and it's related tools include testsuites, I would like to use them. Thing
is, my target hardware platform wont arrive for awhile and I would like to begin testing the tool chain before it does.
I have seen/read documents describing the use of GDBs simulator to test the toolchain, but I am still abit confused as
to how/ or if this is even possible given my current setup.
Host Platform: x86 running RedHat
Target Platform: Intel Development Board with PXA27X processor
Toolchain Versions: GCC 3.3.2
GLibC 2.3.2
Bin Utilities 2.14
From what I understand, if I want to test with the cpu simulator, I will have to replace glibc with newlib and set my
build target to arm-elf. I'm not intamitly familar with the differences between newlib/glibc and arm-elf/arm-linux. Why might these changes be needed ? What does arm-elf/nelib buy me that arm-linux/glibc cannot ?

The ability to build bare binaries that can run without an operating system.

If anybody speak from experience about how to best test a toolchain (without the hardware), it would be greatly appreciated.

I think that's the way. I just haven't done it myself. (Another approach is to find similar hardware... who knows, maybe there's a system out there on ebay with a PXA-something chip, linux, and an ethernet interface :-) - Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com