Re: crosstool sh3 builds with no fpu. booted linux and another testapp.

Max Vilimpoc wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks for putting together crosstool, it took all of the "fun" out of building a crosscompiler (which is to say, on a 366MHz PII, pure hell). I set it going on building an SH3 toolchain with gcc-3.3.2-glibc-2.3.2 and let it go while I slept. Next morning, everything worked great.

Yay!

I built the toolchain with GLIBC_EXTRA_CONFIG="--without-fp". According to Renesas, here: http://www.eu.renesas.com/documents/mpumcu/pdf/sh7700p.pdf the SH-3E "supports single-precision floating point calculations as well as entirely PCAPI compatible emulation of double-precision floating point calculations. The SH-3E instructions are a subset of the floating point calculations conforming to the IEEE754 standard." I think that pretty much means don't count on FPU support on the SH3, also since the standard SH3 core and the SH3-DSP core don't have an FPU. I wasn't too worried about FPU support since I'll probably never use it.

Good point. Maybe I should add that to sh3.dat.

I built a Linux 2.6.6 kernel using the Jornada defconfig and it boots on my SH3-DSP test board, although it stops booting when it tries to initialize a non-existent PS/2 controller. But that's no compiler fault. And I built a simple hello world test app that shipped with the test board, and that loaded and ran correctly as well. If I can get a minimal root, I'll try running the regression tests, but just wanted to let you know, per the notes in 'demo-sh3.sh', that sh3 works.

Excellent. BTW I think I have fairly complete regression tests for that toolchain on sh4, and they weren't too bad, so I bet sh3 should be ok. But you never know! - Dan

-- My technical stuff: http://kegel.com My politics: see http://www.misleader.org for examples of why I'm for regime change