Re: toolchain requirements submission

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 08:36:09AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Frank Meerkoetter wrote:
> >We[1] have systems with IXP4xx and IXP28x0 processors. Till now we've
> >used a prebuild toolchain made by Montavista. Recently i was able to
> >generate a toolchain using crosstool and the armeb-softfloat-linux-gnu
> >target (gcc3.3.3/glibc2.3.2). Right now i'm setting up the enviroment for
> >the crosstest script.
>
> I suspect you had to make some changes... or did crosstool build out of the
> box?
> If you had to add anything, please submit it so I can include it in the
> next release.

I had to apply these two patches to get something usable:

 - The first one configures the toolchain in a way that it generates big
   endian by default.
   http://www.davehylands.com/linux/ARM-bigendian/gcc-uclibc-3.3-300-bigend.patch
 - The second one fixes a glibc-bug. The ARM optimized version of strlen
   is brocken on big endian systems.
   http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2003-June/015964.html

The resulting toolchain is able to compile a working helloworld
programm. I will do more testing the next days. The main reason why
we're using the prebuild Montavista toolchain right now is that it was
the only toolchain which really(TM) worked for us. We've generated arm-be
toolchains before but code compiled with these sometimes failed in
mysterious ways. So i'm quite eager to setup the regression tests.

> >A requirement we have for our IXP4xx systems is uClibc support.
>
> As you probably know, there's a patch pending to add uclibc support
> to crosstool, but I won't apply it until after crosstool-0.28 is released.
That's great, thanks!

Frank