Re: building arm-elf with newlib

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:36:41 +0200  Christoph Baumann <cb@sorcus.com> wrote:

> AKubbat schrieb:
>
> > 	.section .gnu.linkonce.t.__tf9type_info,"ax",@progbits
> >

> > The last line is line 889 that causes the trouble
> > Apparently arm-elf-as doesn't like the   ",@progbits" at the end.
>
> @ is the comment symbol for ARM assembler. So the line expands to
> "[...], <nothing>", which may be an invalid expression.
>

> Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best regards
> Dipl.-Phys. Christoph Baumann
> ---
> SORCUS Computer GmbH
> Im Breitspiel 11 c
> D-69126 Heidelberg
>
> Tel.: +49(0)6221/3206-0
> Fax: +49(0)6221/3206-66

Thanks Christoph for that explanation.

Meanwhile I've found out more. For some odd reason a very old bug (1999)
resurfaced (or I'm still doing something wrong).

As you have pointed out, @ is a comment in ARM environment.

And http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/1999-10/msg00067.html
> Re: Override arm-elf-as comment char
>
>    It also accepts `%' for precisely this reason.  There is matching gunk
>    in GCC to generate the right syntax.

It apperently is not anything related to crossgcc. GCC should have used
% instead of @ to avoid this. I'll search gcc mailing-list to findout more

Thanks for your help  /  Ebenfalls mit freundlich Gruessen

==
Andreas