Re: Compiling with other optimization?

Now I've tried with "-Os" as optimisation, but I'm not able to see any
difference in library-sizes. My libgcj.so is still around 50 megs -
I haven't noticed much size difference either with -Os (on linux-arm,
in my case), but since your library is 50 megs, are you sure you
stripped it?  I guess Java stuff contains a *lot* of debug info, which
of course isn't any smaller when you compile with -Os...
There actually is a lot difference in size... I exported the variables:
CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, GCJFLAGS, TARGET_CFLAGS, TARGET_CXXFLAGS, and TARGET_GCJFLAGS to contain "-Os" and the resulting libgcj.so-file is only 13megs (unstripped) compared to the latter 50megs.
Similar, the libstdc++ library shrunk from 5.5 megs to approx 1 megs.

However, shrinking libgcj still only brings it down to 10 megs. So the outcome is the same...

*For Dan*: Maybe setting the optimisation in the CFLAGS- and CXXFLAGS-flags should be allowed. You could always put the optimisation in separate variables:
C_OPTIMISATION_LEVEL="1"
CXX_OPTIMISATION_LEVEL="s"
and then just use these when setting CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS later in your scripts. Then you can still check that the user has not set the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS, as you do today, and then build CFLAGS="-fwhatever -O${C_OPTIMISATION_LEVEL}", afterwards.

Regards,
 Martin