From: Jay.Kulpinski@gd-ais.com [mailto:Jay.Kulpinski@gd-ais.com]
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2004 11:51 AM
To: Jon Watson
Cc: crossgcc@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Help w/ gcc cross build failing

On Friday 27 August 2004 11:27 am, Jon Watson wrote:
> Thanks to all for the help/suggestions. Using Jay's build script I've been
> able to build all the tools/libraries for the powerpc-eabi toolchain.
>
> Can anyone point me at docs pertaining to the differences between the
> powerpc-eabi and powerpc-eabispe target tools? Based on some reading I did
> this morning I realized I may not have built all I need (yet). I had
> previously thought the powerpc-eabi covered all PPC target families,
> including BookE processors. Is this incorrect?
>
> I need to support PPC750, MPC82xx (PPC603e core), PPC74xx, and MPC85xx
> (e500 core - is BookE) target processors and link with the VxWorks (v5.4 &
> 5.5 OS). Is the powerpc-eabi tool chain going to do it for me or do I need
> a separate toolchain for powerpc-eabispe to handle the BookE processors?
>
> I looked for VxWorks specific patches, but I didn't see any. Does anyone
> know if I missed something?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon Watson

Jon,

Running "powerpc-eabi-gcc --target-help" shows built-in support for a lot
of cpu variants:

PowerPC options:
-a32                    generate ELF32/XCOFF32
-a64                    generate ELF64/XCOFF64
-u                      ignored
-mpwrx, -mpwr2          generate code for POWER/2 (RIOS2)
-mpwr                   generate code for POWER (RIOS1)
-m601                   generate code for PowerPC 601
-mppc, -mppc32, -m603, -m604
                        generate code for PowerPC 603/604
-m403, -m405            generate code for PowerPC 403/405
-m440                   generate code for PowerPC 440
-m7400, -m7410, -m7450, -m7455
                        generate code For PowerPC 7400/7410/7450/7455
-mppc64, -m620          generate code for PowerPC 620/625/630
-mppc64bridge           generate code for PowerPC 64, including bridge insns
-mbooke64               generate code for 64-bit PowerPC BookE
-mbooke, mbooke32       generate code for 32-bit PowerPC BookE
-mpower4                generate code for Power4 architecture
-mcom                   generate code Power/PowerPC common instructions
-many                   generate code for any architecture (PWR/PWRX/PPC)
-maltivec               generate code for AltiVec
-me500, -me500x2        generate code for Motorola e500 core complex
-mspe                   generate code for Motorola SPE instructions

I don't really know about VxWorks.  I think that's a totally separate
problem.  You probably have to build with VxWorks headers and libraries
instead of using newlib.  I seem to recall seeing web pages covering
the use of older gcc versions with VxWOrks, but nothing for 3.x series.

- Jay