perl ./configure failure (while attempting to configure for crosscompile build)

Hello,

While my attempts to generate linux ppc native gcc compiler are on "halt" due to its "crosstool" build error (Dan - when you will have some spare time, I would greatly appreciate your help in that matter)
I have attempted to cross-compile perl-5.8.5 on cygwin for linux/ppc
using my existant and test proven as working OK powerpc-linux-gcc-3.3.2
cross compiler ...it fails in compiling test program - I feel that default libraries and includes, which ./configure used are involved in that failure - what libraries and includes I should input/use ?

Thanks,
Alex

$ pwd
/cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/perl/perl-5.8.5

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 USPITLAD104868 1.5.10(0.116/4/2) 2004-05-25 22:07 i686 unknown unknown Cygwin

$ CC=powerpc-linux-gcc-3.3.2 LD=powerpc-linux-ld AS=powerpc-linux-as ./configure

Beginning of configuration questions for perl5.

Checking echo to see how to suppress newlines...
...using -n.
The star should be here-->*

First let's make sure your kit is complete.  Checking...
Looks good...

Would you like to see the instructions? [n]

Locating common programs...
awk is in /usr/bin/awk.
cat is in /usr/bin/cat.
chmod is in /usr/bin/chmod.
comm is in /usr/bin/comm.
cp is in /usr/bin/cp.
echo is in /usr/bin/echo.
expr is in /usr/bin/expr.
grep is in /usr/bin/grep.
ls is in /usr/bin/ls.
mkdir is in /usr/bin/mkdir.
rm is in /usr/bin/rm.
sed is in /usr/bin/sed.
sort is in /usr/bin/sort.
touch is in /usr/bin/touch.
tr is in /usr/bin/tr.
uniq is in /usr/bin/uniq.

Don't worry if any of the following aren't found...
I don't see Mcc out there, offhand.
ar is in /usr/bin/ar.
bison is in /usr/bin/bison.
byacc is in /usr/bin/byacc.
cpp is in /usr/bin/cpp.
I don't see csh out there, either.
date is in /usr/bin/date.
egrep is in /usr/bin/egrep.
I don't see gmake out there, either.
gzip is in /usr/bin/gzip.
less is in /usr/bin/less.
ln is in /usr/bin/ln.
make is in /usr/bin/make.
I don't see more out there, either.
nm is in /usr/bin/nm.
nroff is in /usr/bin/nroff.
I don't see pg out there, either.
test is in /usr/bin/test.
uname is in /usr/bin/uname.
I don't see zip out there, either.
Using the test built into your sh.

Checking compatibility between /usr/bin/echo.exe and builtin echo (if any)...
They are compatible.  In fact, they may be identical.

Symbolic links are supported.

Checking how to test for symbolic links...
You can test for symbolic links with 'test -h'.

Good, your tr supports [:lower:] and [:upper:] to convert case.
Using [:upper:] and [:lower:] to convert case.

First time through, eh?  I have some defaults handy for some systems
that need some extra help getting the Configure answers right:

3b1          dos_djgpp      isc_2         os2           svr4
aix          dynix          linux         os390         svr5
aix_3        dynixptx       lynxos        os400         ti1500
aix_4        epix           machten       posix-bc      titanos
altos486     esix4          machten_2     powerux       ultrix_4
amigaos      fps            mint          qnx           umips
apollo       freebsd        mips          rhapsody      unicos
atheos       genix          mpc           sco           unicosmk
aux_3        gnu            mpeix         sco_2_3_0     unisysdynix
beos         greenhills     ncr_tower     sco_2_3_1     utekv
bsdos        hpux           netbsd        sco_2_3_2     uts
convexos     i386           newsos4       sco_2_3_3     uwin
cxux         irix_4         next_3        sco_2_3_4     vmesa
cygwin       irix_5         next_3_0      solaris_2     vos
darwin       irix_6         next_4        stellar
dcosx        irix_6_0       nonstopux     sunos_4_0
dec_osf      irix_6_1       openbsd       sunos_4_1
dgux         isc            opus          super-ux

You may give one or more space-separated answers, or "none" if appropriate.
A well-behaved OS will have no hints, so answering "none" or just "Policy"
is a good thing.  DO NOT give a wrong version or a wrong OS.

Which of these apply, if any? [cygwin]

Configure uses the operating system name and version to set some defaults.
The default value is probably right if the name rings a bell. Otherwise,
since spelling matters for me, either accept the default or answer "none"
to leave it blank.

Operating system name? [cygwin]

Operating system version? [1.5.10(0.11642)]

Perl can be built to use the SOCKS proxy protocol library.  To do so,
Configure must be run with -Dusesocks.  If you use SOCKS you also need
to use the PerlIO abstraction layer, this will be implicitly selected.

If this doesn't make any sense to you, just accept the default 'n'.
Build Perl for SOCKS? [n]

Previous version of perl5 used the standard IO mechanisms as
defined in <stdio.h>.  Versions 5.003_02 and later of perl5 allow
alternate IO mechanisms via the PerlIO abstraction layer, but the
stdio mechanism is still available if needed.  The abstraction layer
can use AT&T's sfio (if you already have sfio installed) or regular stdio.
Using PerlIO with sfio may cause problems with some extension modules.

If this doesn't make any sense to you, just accept the default 'y'.
Use the PerlIO abstraction layer? [y]

Perl can be built to take advantage of threads on some systems.
To do so, Configure can be run with -Dusethreads.

Note that Perl built with threading support runs slightly slower
and uses more memory than plain Perl. The current implementation
is believed to be stable, but it is fairly new, and so should be
treated with caution.

If this doesn't make any sense to you, just accept the default 'n'.
Build a threading Perl? [n]

Perl can be built so that multiple Perl interpreters can coexist
within the same Perl executable.

If this doesn't make any sense to you, just accept the default 'n'.
Build Perl for multiplicity? [n]

Hmm...  Looks kind of like a BSD system, but we'll see...

Congratulations.  You aren't running Eunice.

It's not Xenix...

Nor is it Venix...
Use which C compiler? [gcc] powerpc-linux-gcc-3.3.2

Checking for GNU cc in disguise and/or its version number...
./try: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
You are not using GNU cc.

Hmm...  Doesn't look like a MIPS system.

Now, how can we feed standard input to your C preprocessor...
Maybe "powerpc-linux-gcc-3.3.2 -E" will work...
Nope...maybe "powerpc-linux-gcc-3.3.2 -E -" will work...
Yup, it does.

Some systems have incompatible or broken versions of libraries.  Among
the directories listed in the question below, please remove any you
know not to be holding relevant libraries, and add any that are needed.
Say "none" for none.

Directories to use for library searches? [/usr/local/lib /usr/lib /lib]

On some systems, shared libraries may be available.  Answer 'none' if
you want to suppress searching of shared libraries for the remainder
of this configuration.

What is the file extension used for shared libraries? [dll]

Perl can be built to take advantage of long doubles which
(if available) may give more accuracy and range for floating point numbers.

If this doesn't make any sense to you, just accept the default 'n'.
Try to use long doubles if available? [n]

Checking for optional libraries...
No -lsfio.
No -lsocket.
No -lbind.
No -linet.
No -lnsl.
No -lnm.
No -lndbm.
Found -lgdbm.
No -ldbm.
No -ldb.
No -lmalloc.
No -ldl.
No -ldld.
No -lld.
No -lsun.
Found -lcrypt.
No -lsec.
No -lcposix.
No -lposix.
No -lucb.
No -lbsd.
No -lBSD.
Found -lgdbm_compat.

In order to compile perl5 on your machine, a number of libraries
are usually needed.  Include any other special libraries here as well.
Say "none" for none.  The default list is almost always right.

What libraries to use? [-lgdbm -lcrypt -lgdbm_compat]

By default, perl5 compiles with the -O flag to use the optimizer.
Alternately, you might want to use the symbolic debugger, which uses
the -g flag (on traditional Unix systems).  Either flag can be
specified here.  To use neither flag, specify the word "none".

What optimizer/debugger flag should be used? [-O2]

Your C compiler may want other flags.  For this question you should include
-I/whatever and -DWHATEVER flags and any other flags used by the C compiler,
but you should NOT include libraries or ld flags like -lwhatever.  If you
want perl5 to honor its debug switch, you should include -DDEBUGGING here.
Your C compiler might also need additional flags, such as -D_POSIX_SOURCE.

To use no flags, specify the word "none".

Any additional cc flags? [-DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV -I/usr/local/include]

Let me guess what the preprocessor flags are...
They appear to be: -DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV -I/usr/local/include

Your C linker may need flags.  For this question you should
include -L/whatever and any other flags used by the C linker, but you
should NOT include libraries like -lwhatever.

Make sure you include the appropriate -L/path flags if your C linker
does not normally search all of the directories you specified above,
namely
        /usr/local/lib /usr/lib /lib
To use no flags, specify the word "none".

Any additional ld flags (NOT including libraries)? [ -L/usr/local/lib]

Checking your choice of C compiler and flags for coherency...
I've tried to compile and run the following simple program:

#include <stdio.h>
int main() { printf("Ok\n"); return(0); }

I used the command:

        powerpc-linux-gcc-3.3.2 -o try -O2 -DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV -I/usr/local
nclude -L/usr/local/lib try.c -lgdbm -lcrypt -lgdbm_compat
         ./try

and I got the following output:

/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-linux/3.3.2/../../../../powerpc-linux/bin/ld: c
not find -lgdbm
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
I can't compile the test program.
(The supplied flags or libraries might be incorrect.)

You have a BIG problem.  Shall I abort Configure [y]
Ok.  Stopping Configure.