Re: newlib libstdc++-v3 configuration problems

newlib libstdc++-v3 configuration problems

Dear all,

I have resolved my problems building a newlib cross gcc for powerpc.
My problems stem from a subtle bug in
crosstool/contrib/newlib/crosstool-newlib.sh :
The second, full, gcc build needs the --with-newlib configuration option.
I suspect that this bug is hidden because many builds will work anyway.
The reason is this fragment of gcc-XXX/libstdc++-v3/configure:

--------------

if test "x${with_newlib}" = "xyes"; then
    # do some config
else

    # Base decisions on target environment.
    case "${host}" in
      *-darwin*)
          # do lots of config
          ;;
      *djgpp)
          # etc.
      *-freebsd*)
      *-hpux*)
      *-linux* | *-uclinux* | *-gnu* | *-kfreebsd*-gnu | *-knetbsd*-gnu)
      *-mingw32*)
      *-netbsd*)
      *-qnx6.1* | *-qnx6.2*)
      *-solaris*)
      *-tpf)
      *-vxworks)
      *-windiss*)
      *)
        {
            {
                echo "$as_me:$LINENO: error: No support for this host/target
combination." >&5
                echo "$as_me: error: No support for this host/target
combination." >&2;
            }
            {
                (exit 1);
                exit 1;
            };
        }
    esac
fi

--------------

If the target system matches any of the cases, a configuration will be built,
and thence the compiler, even if --with-newlib is not specified.
Many people are building linux targets, and these will work.

However, for my target, powerpc-ibm-eabi, none of the cases match, so I got the
default case, "No support..." and the build failed.
Note that the fragment above actually spans 54,000 lines of 'configure' so its a
little hard to spot!

With this one line fix, I can successfully build a complete toolset.

Matthew JONES
http://www.tandbergtv.com/