Re: parse error before "__thread" compiling glibc-2.2.5 with gcc-3.3

sankalp mehrotra wrote:
My server has linux 7.1

The version number doesn't mean much without the name of the Linux distribution. I'll assume you meant Red Hat, but maybe you meant Suse, Mandrake, or Turbolinux...

and it came with gcc 2.96 and glibc 2.2.4. I have this attached document of the internet which explains how you can install a secondary glibc for gcc3.3.2. But I tried it and it didn't work. Could you check the document and let me know whether I am doing some thing wrong.

The document you attached seems to be http://www.geocities.com/yschandra/gcc-glibc.html It describes a somewhat dangerous scheme for trying out new glibc versions on a workstation.

My tool is a C++ verification environment which hooks up to a verilog DUT using PLIs. And I am trying to setup my tool for a client which has red hat Enterprise linux with gcc 3.3.2.
> I tried installing glibc 2.3.5 but it doesn't create ld.so.conf .

glibc probably shouldn't install ld.so.conf; that's a config file that
the linux distribution creates.

Let me get this straight:
You are developing on Red Hat Linux 7.1.
You have a customer who uses Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
You need a way to 1) build and 2) test
your application to make sure it will work properly
on the customer's machine.  Right?

If I may ask, what's wrong with building the application
using the normal Red Hat Linux 7.1 compiler and C library?
The resulting app ought to work fine on newer versions
of Linux (unless you've run into a library or compiler bug).
Have you tried that?

Assuming you need to update the compiler to gcc-3.3.2 for some
reason, perhaps you can make do with the older glibc.
That would make it easier to test the resulting app on
your Red Hat Linux 7.1 box; you wouldn't need to futz with glibc.

For testing your app, if you really do need the newer glibc, it's safer to use a chroot jail, e.g.
http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.31/doc/chroot-login-howto.html
or
http://thomas.apestaart.org/projects/mach/

But the best approach of all might be to simply
install Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 (or its workalike, CentOS 3,
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/3 ) for both build and test.
- Dan