D, arm-wince-pe and crosstool

Hello,

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I'm also interested in setting up an "arm-wince-pe" cross compiler. Kevin's aims are nearly identical to mine, in that I'd like a Windows-based cross compiler using a recent version of GCC.

My end goal is to compile D code for Pocket PC. I'm looking to do this through the GDC front end.

	D:
	http://www.digitalmars.com/d/

	GDC:
	http://home.earthlink.net/~dvdfrdmn/d/

I'm not new to GCC, but for me it's always been pre-installed or as part of a third party (Sony) SDK. There's been nothing for me to do to get it up and running apart from setting some environment variables.

I've been manually trying to compile an "arm-wince-pe" C++ (forgetting D for the moment) cross compiler using Cygwin and a butchered copy of SDL's build-cross.sh, until I stumbled across this mailing list and read about crosstool and Craig and Kevin's posts.

	SDL's build-cross.sh:
	http://www.libsdl.org/extras/win32/cross/build-cross.sh

	Crosstool:
	http://kegel.com/crosstool/

I'm probably in over my head here, but I've got some queries and I'd be really happy if someone could offer me some advice or pointers.

1. Would it be possible to combine the work of Craig's into crosstool? That way, people could build their own versions of GCC. Perhaps the versions of GCC/glibc/newlib/whatever required and the patches required make this very difficult.

2. I don't really understand why patches are necessary. Is it possible to contribute to the main GCC/glibc source code?

Thank you for your advice,

Peter

Kevin Powell wrote:
...ressurecting an old thread here.

Craig Vanderborgh had previously posted a pointer to the gnuwince
package at voxware.  This is great for those who can use the pre-built
binaries.  However, I'd like to take a whack at building the
arm-wince-pe-gcc from source.

My aim here is to 1) use the most recent gcc release (3.4) and 2)
build a cygwin hosted cross compiler instead of the Linux hosted one.

Craig's ealier post said that the normal process for building a gcc
cross compiler was not suitable for generating an arm-wince compiler. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any further information in the list
archives or on the web. Crosstool does not seem to support arm-wince
as a target either, so there's no help there. So, the question is: what is the special sauce that goes into the arm-wince build? Any
pointers?

Thanks

Kevin Powell