Re: How to link ARM ADS1.2 objects with the GCC linker for Symbian?

Ian wrote:

Hello all,
following our last post about building ARM assembly we are also
struggling with another problem.

We are trying to link some ADS1.2 generated objects with the GCC
linker and dlltool from "Symbian's Series 60 2nd edition SDK pack
2 version 1" tool-chain.
Linking passed with no errors but the dlltool crashed with
"access violation".

We suspect mismatching object formats but are frankly quite
lost...

To let toolchains inter operate ARM and parteners have developed ARM EABI but ARM ADS 1.2 came before this
so naturally this is not EABI compliant. So if you are trying to mix and match the objects expect unknown problems
it should behave better if you use RVCT 2.x and latest GNU toolchain.

The post linkers (like dlltool) are heavily relying upon the output of toolchain so if the dlltool was written keeping ARM ADS in mind
dont expect it to work with gcc generated programs straight away. These issues are addressed in ARM EABI

My experiences with mixing objects before EABI is that it wont work without investing significant time into it.

I would suggest to use EABI compilant toolchains (ARM and GNU)

Any experience/advice/ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks!

-- Ian

The Real World Is A Special Case

__________________________________ Discover Yahoo! Use Yahoo! to plan a weekend, have fun online and more. Check it out! http://discover.yahoo.com/