uClibc progress

Hello there! :-)

My being stubborn finaly paid on my work on uClibc.

So far I have been able to build both C and C++ compilers for armv5b! Yeah!

What I've been able to do so far:
 - build a armv5b-xscale-linux-uclibc toolchain
 - build and boot a 2.4.29-uc1 kernel
 - build and exec an all-featured busybox-1.00
All worked without any problem, but were not heavily stressed.

Encountered problems (amongst others less important):
 - the target triplets I was using were armv5{b,l}-scale-linux-gnu:
   that is obviously wrong, as it should be *-uclibc. Alas that one did occur
   to me only recently... :-(
 - which made binutils sad because they didn't know *-uclibc targets, and were
   realy eager to meet them, as they seemed to be very nice targets. I had to
   use some buildroot patches (the easy way!) to make binutils happy.
 - as well, gcc did know nothing about *-uclibc targets as well (that I have
   known for long). I made them met, and since then they've been dating, and
   are now hapilly living together.
 - As for the C++ compiler, I had the good/bad habit of cleaning the extracted
   tarballs before build. Unfortunately, that removes the extracted pre-built
   uClibc locale, preventing gcc from building its C++ compiler. How sad,
   isn't it?
 - many other glitches, such as a fried notebook. Huhuhu... :-(

What's left:
 - look at ptxdist patches for binutils and gcc to see if they have *-uclibc
   targets support.
 - extensively test the resulting toolchains (one for armv5b and one for
   armv5l).
 - re-build and re-test the glibc toolchains for the afore-mentioned targets
   to check for any regression when re-arranging crosstool
 - CLEAN UP my crosstool tree, as it currently is quite a mess
 - build and submit a proper patch
 - if I have time, test other targets, such as MIPS, x86 and SPARC (whose are
   the arch I have access to).

Anyway, I learnt a great deal to achieve this goal.

Dan, others, are you willing to receive an in-the-state patch?
Note I might not be available until end of the WE, from right now.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| web: ymorin.free.fr | SETI@home 3808 | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |