Confused: need toolchain for mips64 running on ix86

Hi,

Most of the wiki and assorted other info out there is
relatively explanatory and I've been able to build a
working binutils and boostrap gcc 4.0.1 running on an
i686-linux platform with a target platform of
mips64-linux.

So far, so good. However, I have NOT managed to build
a full version of glibc-2.3.5 for a MIPS64/Linux
platform, or a full cross-compiler.

The help I am specifically looking for is how to get
glibc to compile with the toolchain I have so far, OR
how to obtain/install a pre-built toolchain with that
combination of platforms in mind.

I've had a go at it, as I've said, but need some
additional help if I'm to succeed on this.

Problem number 1: glibc's install docs say glibc-2.3.5
won't compile under gcc-4. Erk. Try and compile anyway
and it barfs everywhere. (The first visible symptom is
that __WORDSIZE is never set, but the malady lies
deeper as merely forcing __WORDSIZE creates a truly
ugly mess.)

"So," says I, "I'll just use crosstool instead."

Problem number 2a: crosstool uses the combination
outlined in problem number 1 as a Bad Idea.

Problem number 2b: crosstool doesn't have any
pre-written scripts for mips64 (only for mips32). A
trivial change (from one arch to the other) doesn't
seem sufficient, as it too fills my screen with
unrepeatable insinuations.

Ah! But there are some pre-compiled binaries mentioned
on the linux-mips website.

Problem number 3: The MIPS board I'm using hasn't got
RPM installed, which means I'd need to cross-compile
it, but a bootstrap compiler won't compile
applications. Now, I can certainly install RPMs on the
ix86 board, but the only RPM I could see for the ix86
just covered the part of the toolchain I already have.

I know for an absolute fact that others have managed
to build complete toolchains. What is stumping me,
right now, is how.

Any suggestions/patches/binaries would be absolutely
wonderful and very much appreciated!

Jonthan Day