Re: Confused: need toolchain for mips64 running on ix86

Jonathan Day wrote:

So far, so good. However, I have NOT managed to build
a full version of glibc-2.3.5 for a MIPS64/Linux
platform, or a full cross-compiler.

Are you sure there are any others who have succeeded with this?

 As far as I remember, the 'mips64-linux-gnu' target
has been broken, or that the default for it is a 32-
bit target toolchain. Maybe I have not followed the
recent happenings but being pessimistic could be the
attitude here...

> Ah! But there are some pre-compiled binaries mentioned
> on the linux-mips website.
>
> Problem number 3: The MIPS board I'm using hasn't got
> RPM installed, which means I'd need to cross-compile
> it,

 Sounds like you have factory-made tyres available for
your self-made car but you don't want to use them because
you want your whole car to be completely self-built! That
is your attitude and I unfortunately don't share it with
you :(  But there are quite a lot others who seemingly
are sharing this idea with you :)

 My choose would be to use all the available pre-made
libraries for the mips64-linux target and not wonder
how on eatth I could reproduce them... Not at least when
starting, maybe later after finding bugs in those libraries
and wanting to fix them with the self-invented fixes.
If there are binaries, there must also be sources.

 If you build the target glibc, then you are going to
install it as the new runtime for the target, or how?
What do you think about the situation where the libs
used in the crosstools are not just the same as used
on the runtime system? Can you expect the produced apps
to run perfectly?  If you produce apps on/for Red Hat,
should they run perfectly on SuSE too?

 What is so bad in using the original pre-made C library
for your target if it for all sanity SHOULD be available?