Re: Cygwin and crosstool! (vmlinux.lds.asm problem with 2.6.12.5case-insensitive build patch from crosstool)

Dave Korn wrote:
Corinna objects to it, though; she said on 22 Jul 2004 22:46:44 in
a message in thread "Re: Slight problem with case sensitivity on managed
mounts with C VS-1.1" archived at
http://www.newsarch.com/archive/mailinglist/cygwin/msg09026.html :

I can't get that address to resolve!

Search for the content in google; it's still in the cache.

The problem in using FILE_FLAG_POSIX_SEMANTICS is this: Any other
application which doesn't use that flag might get seriously confused
by having two files which only differ in case.

But maybe she'd be ok with it as an extra mount flag.

I hope so; that way it's strictly isolated from anyone who doesn't want it in use. Making it a property of a mountpoint (rather than e.g. a CYGWIN environment variable option) should make it keep itself to self-contained dir subtrees, rather than allowing chaotically-named files to scatter across the whole fs.

Not the whole fs; just the part mounted as 'managed'. And the mangled names are only visible if you don't look at them through cygwin, of course.

But before you do: what *is* the overhead of managed mode mounts?

No idea, but I'm sufficiently off-put by those mangled names that I don't like it!

Aha. Then please don't argue that there is any overhead. Your real objection, the mangled names, is weakened if you tie it to unproven and possibly false statements. - Dan