Re: Building Win32 apps on Linux? (To Cygwin users on the list...)

Toralf Lund wrote:
I've never really paid much attention to the Cygwin talk on this list before, but now I'm involved in a project where it may be used...

So, what is it all about? Where does cross-gcc come into the picture in the context of Cygwin? Is any of you lot you for instance cross-compiling Cygwin apps under Linux?

Cygwin tries to be Unix on Windoze and therefore recommending people to
use the native Windoze as the $build platform. If one really doesn't
want to build stuff on Windoze, then also MinGW becomes as one alternative. But also quite similar goals is with its 'MSYS' than there
are with Cygwin :(

 In any case Cygwin still can be more supported as a "Windoze runtime
target", the (official) support for the MinGW $host isn't that good...

But I choosed MinGW as the preferred $host for my own builds. Some
problems seen but when nobody pays for those MinGW-hosted tools, producing them just for a fun doesn't require them always working...
For instance the GNU ld doesn't work for those '.so' using targets
like SVR4's and Linuces, the 'ld-linux.so.2' etc. "linked" shared
libs are not found automatically without mentioning then on the
link command...