Re: Backtrace of naked functions

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Duane Ellis wrote:

The problem is most likely in *your* startup code that calls *your*
entry point.

I know what you mean, and believe me, I did try hard to come up with a terminated stack frame. I tried every even remotely reasonable combination of pointers and backlinks, to no avail. That said, I certainly don't claim to know all tricks and treats. Fact is, trying to understand GDB's logic on this is a complete nightmare. :-)

Again, the issue came up on PPC and X86. For PPC, I could not find some kind of "official" statement as to how to terminate a stack frame. One should expect this in the EABI, but it's not there.

For the X86, this is even more tricky since the stack frame is only half-initialised by the caller, the other half is done by the callee. So there is virtually now way to get this straigt in case you want the debugger tap into your programm at the very _first_ instruction of a function.

Regards,
Marius

--
Marius Groeger <mgroeger@sysgo.com>
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software