Re: cross compiler [on cygwin, targeting arm-linux]

Dave Korn wrote:
I'm new to Linux, but I've started a new project in college and
Cygwin is the environment we're using. The first task I've been
given is to build a cross compiler for Cygwin host to ARM-Linux
target. To be perfectly honest that's way above my head at the
moment, I'm a mechanical engineer by education so all this
programming stuff makes me nervous. Your website has been very
informative (those bits that I understand at least) but I've been
asked to build the compiler from scratch. The embedded system we're
using has an Intel Xscale PXA225 processor, application compatible
with an SA1110 I think. Do you know of any resources, web or
otherwise, where I could find a walkthrough to do this. I've only
been using Cygwin about a week so I'm talkin' really basic
walkthrough, nothing taken for granted. Any help or advice you could
offer would be much appreciated.

Definitely just run crosstool to build the compiler from scratch. Doing it by hand is cruel and unusual punishment.

No, it isn't, it is in fact very very simple indeed. I did this exact same thing myself a little while ago, and it was made trivially easy by the fact that I could use the prebuilt libs and headers

Whoops! I think he wanted one built from scratch, not one that used parts of an already-built toolchain. But if he's ok with a not-quite-from-scratch toolchain, you are of course right, it's a lot easier if you can steal the headers and libraries from the target. (I don't do that with crosstool, simply because I want to really test whether we can build from scratch.) - Dan