Re: arm-elf vs arm-linux

arm-elf is a standalone toolchain which does not require an underlying OS. So you can use
it to generate programs using newlib

arm-linux is a toolchain targetted to generate code for linux OS running on an ARM machine

Are the above 2 tools (ie arm-elf and arm-linux) crosstools?

Yeah, they are both going to be used as crosstools !

What's the real difference between those two targets ? I know that of
course arm-elf won't give support for glibc of course ! Because if they
don't differ that much, it would be great not to have to build and use
two different toolchains for when I want to build my bootloader or when
I want to build my linux kernel or the application I would run on it !

unfortunately you have to use two toolchains because you have two different operating environments.
So the system interfaces will be different therefore the toolchains have to be different too.

Yeah I know all of this ! But what if I for example compile a program that is going to run on my bare chip without an OS or using for eCos librairies with an an arm-linux toolchain ?

What are the "real precise" difference ! I already know about linux syscall and glibc and things like that ! I want to know what is going to happen if I compile a program without OS call with arm-linux ? and I think newlib is no problem because (haven't tried but I strongly think) I can include the newlib without that much problem in my arm-linux toolchain .

Thx and regards

Valentin