Re: crosstool: how to link with compiled glibc

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Dan Kegel wrote:

> On 12/6/05, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > i think what you might be looking for is building with the
> > "sysroot" option which, as i understand it (and i really hope i
> > understand it since i'm using it in my script) is to generate the
> > output directory structure with at least a passing resemblance to
> > the beginning of a root filesystem for the target system, right?
>
> Almost -- the sysroot option tells the compiler to *look* there, not
> to put files there when being built.  Crosstool (or whoever builds
> the compiler) has to arrange for the files to end up in the sysroot.
> (And crosstool doesn't quite do that -- the C++ libraries aren't in
> the sysroot it builds.)

ok, i guess i *didn't* really understand what "--with-sysroot" did.
for some reason, i thought it had some effect on how the files were
installed in the destination directory -- apparently not.

what you're saying is that it specifies where subsequent steps should
*look* for header files -- in a sense, sysroot represents sort of a
"chroot"-style location under which header files will be located based
on the standard locations.  is that about right?

rday