Re: gettext-0.14.5 necessary to modify latest gcc?

"Robert P. J. Day" wrote:

>   while not specifically a cross-compile question, i was reading the
> latest docs for building gcc and it stated that, to *modify* gcc, one
> needed a number of packages including gettext, version 0.14.5 or
> later (allegedly in order to regenerate gcc.pot.)

I don't think there were many changes between 0.14.3 and 0.14.5.  They
were released only about 2 months apart, and the NEWS file contains only
these items:

Version 0.14.5 - May 2005

* Updated the meaning of 'gcc-internal-format' to match GCC 4.0.

Version 0.14.4 - April 2005

* The gettext autoconf macros will now work with the forthcoming g++
4.0.
* Fix improved detection of the locale on MacOS X.

So, maybe there are some gcc4-specific features.  In any case, you
shouldn't actually need gettext to build gcc unless you modify any of
the .po files or you configure with --enable-maintainer-mode.

>   but on my up-to-date FC4 system, i have only gettext-0.14.3, which
> suggests that there is no more recent official release even
> *available* for FC4.  can anyone clarify this?  just curious.  i
> figure there's enough gcc expertise on this list that *someone* will
> know.

I wouldn't exactly use FC4 as a stunning example of the most up-to-date
set of packages around.

Brian