Re: configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (long double), 77

On Thursday 26 January 2006 10:24, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> >On Wednesday 25 January 2006 21:12, Martin Bligh wrote:
> >>I took a *very* brief look at config.guess. Isn't it fundamentally
> >>flawed for what you want in that it's trying to work out the
> >>architecture of the running kernel, and what you want to know is the
> >>architecture of userspace?
> >
> >it does what it does and that's that
>
> Umm. Not sure what that's meant to mean.

it means that what config.guess does currently is pretty much all it's
supposed to do and it does it pretty well

> It would seem that either what
> it's trying to determine isn't what you want to know, or there's a bug
> in it. Or are you saying that the answer we wanted in this circumstance
> really was x86_64, and the bug is in configure / crosstool, etc ?

i'm saying config.guess should have shown i686-... and it prob didnt because
of the env it was running in

> >this is why you can override it with --build/--host/--target configure
> > options
>
> What *exactly* is the thing we're trying to determine here? Presumably
> the "host" architecture? And does that mean the physical chip, or the
> userspace you're running in, or what kind of executables the currently
> running kernel will support?

if we were concerned with just the host architecture, we wouldnt have tuplets
that contain architecture/operating system/file format/etc...

the name determines pretty much all of these things

> "You can override it" seems like a poor option to me - crosstool is
> intimidating for new users, and it would be nice if it either gave a
> clear error or just worked out of the box

i was talking about configure in general, not crosstool
-mike