Re: Creating Debian pachages of cross-compiler toolchains..

Paul:

Before I start doing any uneccesary work :-) has anyone had a go at
packaging the resulting crosstool toolchains into '.deb's.

I haven't, but note that dpkg-cross can produce cross toolchains too. Use the procedure described here:

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/CrossCompiling

The nice thing about the dpkg-cross solution is that you get consistency across debian-arm targets. The nice thing about being able to package up crosstool-produced toolchains is that you could pick-and-choose your versions and patch sets. Each has its place.

If not.. I'm gong to follow Dan's RPM method, and brute force the
process by scripting the packaging, (creating the debian subdirectory etc.)
so that there is set of packages built for each cross compiler built.

I'm no .deb expert, but seems like there's probably a more elegant way to go about it. But said way would probably involve carving out stuff from crosstool to put into debian build scripts. Brute force is probably the least labor-intensive and easiest-to-maintain approach.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@billgatliff.com