Re: where are the NPTL patches in crosstool-0.40?

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Dan Kegel wrote:

> On 2/22/06, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >         glibc-2.3.6/glibc-2.3.5-sh-lowlevellock.patch
>
> gee, looks like that should be in patches/glibc-2.3.5, too.  Hrm.

yup, i'm pretty sure it does, just based on the name, naturally.  it's
been a while since i've played with the NPTL stuff so my memory is a
bit fuzzy.  as you can see, that patch isn't mine, it's kaz's.  but
yes, you can push a copy back into glibc-2.3.5.

> >         glibc-5070_all_cross-compile-nptl.patch
> >
> > which i've attached if anyone wants to check it out.  it's a patch
> > against glibc/nptl/sysdeps/pthread/configure{,.in} that i pulled
> > out of the gentoo patch repo (based on, i believe, mike
> > frysinger's advice).
>
> Minor point about Signed-off-by.  In the patch you attached, you
> have the line Signed-off-by: and your name, with no other indication
> of where the patch came from.  That means you're claiming you wrote
> it!  You have to include info about where the patch came from to be
> correct.  If you add a signed-off-by, you also have to add the exact
> URL you got it from, in this case
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/glibc/patches/5070_all_cross-compile-nptl.patch
> (Yes, these details matter.)

sorry, that attached patch wasn't in the final form that i submitted
it in -- i just tacked it onto that recent posting so others could see
what i was talking about.  my *submitted* form of that patch
definitely had its provenance.  i can resubmit if you wish.

> > as i recall, this patch can be applied regardless of whether
> > you're building with linuxthreads or NPTL so it should be there in
> > either case, but i'll defer to others who know much more about
> > this than me.
>
> Mike Freysinger claimed it's always safe:
> http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-how-to-implement-conditional-patches--p1795571.html
> and I guess he's right, since it only affects NPTL. So, which
> patches directory should it go in?

i'll check on that and get back to you.  i'm guessing glibc-2.3.5 and
2.3.6 at the very least.

rday