Re: iWMMXt Linux EABI cross toolchain

--- Khem Raj <khem@mvista.com> wrote:

> Steven Newbury said the following on 03/03/2006 02:33 AM:
> > --- Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

> >> well you should have said so in the first place, i would have probably
> paid a
> >>
> >> bit more attention as to what's going on
> >>
> >> how are you installing your cross-compiler ?  did you use crossdev or are
> you
> >>
> >> emerging stuff by yourself ?  arm/nptl doesnt exist in any of the current
> >> Gentoo glibc ebuilds and i dont really plan on backporting anything ...
> >>
> > That's no problem, I've created an overlay and using CVS HEAD
> > binutils/gcc/glibc.  AFAIK it's the only place with everything in.  I'm
> > emerging it all myself.
> >

> > Seems glibc doesn't want to enable nptl for plain arm-* which it has
> wrongly
> > determined I'm using... I am using --with-cpu=iwmmxt --with-arch=iwmmxt
> > --with-abi=iwmmxt, it is of armv5e compatible.
> >
> you should remove --with-abi=iwmmxt if you want a full EABI toolchain.
> this option enables IWMMXT EABI which is somewhere inbetween EABI and
> good old ARM ATPCS in addition you should select target as one of
> arm-*-*-*eabi target in order to let configury know that you want an

I am using arm-iwmmxt-linux-gnueabi, iwmmxt I am using in my gentoo ebuild
scripts to select the iwmmxt "--with-*" options etc.

There seems to be some disagreement on what the iWMMXt ABI is, I discussed this
on gnu@gcc.gnu.org:

--- Paul Brook <paul@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 01 March 2006 05:05, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 04:57:03AM +0000, Steven Newbury wrote:
> > > Thanks for the quick response!
> > > I'm sure it seems I like to make hard wok for myself! It gets worse, I'm
> > > porting Gentoo Linux to iWMMXt with pure EABI kernel and userspace.  I'm
> > > not concerned about being able to run old binaries. So is using
> > > abi=iwmmxt really not what I want? A really bad idea?
> >
> > Absolutely.  You want the AAPCS, not Intel's pre-AAPCS ABI.
>
> Actually, -mabi=iwmmxt is AAPCS based. It's diffferent from the old intel
> iwmmxt ABI.
>
> Having said that, it probably hasn't been tested particularly well, and I
> wouldn't advise using it unless you really need it (ie. you know you have
> performace sensitive code that makes extensive use of iWMMXt vector types in
> function arguments).

So is it just that the iWMMXt ABI is incomplete for EABI or untested or
something else?

Steve