Re: striking out at the eabi

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Leon Woestenberg wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> Mike Taht wrote:
> > I have been working on coaxing my arm ep9302 based board (a ts7250) into a
> > modern state. The other week I coaxed (well, with tons of help from
> > #ep93xx on freenode) the current linux 2.6.17 git kernel + the patches
> > from http://www.wantstofly.org/~buytenh/ep93xx/ to not only boot, but run
> > stably with busybox and a few apps, and recognise absolutely tons of usb
> > devices. This is the first low end processor I've ever had that could do
> > host usb. woohoo, I'm on the bleeding edge!
> >
> > I used a hard float gcc-4.0 2.3.5 non-eabi arm toolchain for that. Have
> > also got a 4.1 based hardfloat toolchain to work. (also, the first time
> > ever I've had a FC5 x86_64 based cross toolchain work and it's nice to
> > think I can finally retire that old rh9 box)
> >
>  > 1) has anyone got a known good arm eabi cross-compiler tarball for
> x86 or
>
> > x86_64 I could just try?
> >
> Nope. Why not ask the #ep93xx guys for their cross compiler sources?

They (we) are stuck at the same place as I. The eabi version

a) kernel error - nwfpe: bad structure size - I will dump the structure
shortly...
b) with my latest eabi build (thanks, Michael!)
a statically linked init=/hello_world does run
but doesn't print any output or write a file. Does successfully
call "sleep", and does successfully kernel panic afterwards. (it used to
just hang) I might actually be past the compiler issues and into a setup issue,
I will try a few more system calls.

I have enough spare brain cells on this now to take this much further this
evening, and I guess I should probably switch lists.

> > 2) anyone else insane enough to try and do builds from x86_64?
>
> Yes. Formerly for the IXDP425 XScale, I have little to no problems with x86_64.

cool. rh9 is heading for the junkyard as soon as I build something stable
here for this and ppc.

> Now, I am on the same host and target hardware (GESBC-9312 with EP9312) and running
> FC5 on x86_64 as well. Just threw my IXDP425 XScale into the hands of a co-worker
> (but maybe a bit too early :-).
>
> > 3) got a script?
>
> Sure, lotsa. Not the one you mean though.
>
> The work done by the guys at #ep93xx has been excellent, kudos.

I am very pleased so far.