RE: init hang after upgrading ARM-Linux toolchain

Michael K. Edwards wrote:
> I don't think you really want a statically linked /sbin/init.
> Statically linking glibc hasn't been very well supported for quite
> some time, and that goes double for NPTL; glibc wants to check for
> /lib/tls and fall back to linuxthreads if it's not available, and that
> probably doesn't coexist well with static linking.  Let it link
> against the shared form of libc6, put that in /lib (and make sure
> /lib/tls exists so that the kernel can expose thread-local storage
> there), and see if you get farther.

Thanks for the reply.  I just now tried this, but no luck.  I created an
ext2 initrd (so that /lib/tls would be rw), which included:

- All libraries from my toolchain placed in /lib
- An empty /lib/tls directory
- BusyBox, including init and a shell

I tried passing init=/bin/sh and init=/sbin/init, but I get the same
result no matter what.  It just hangs after "freeing init memory".

Should that be enough to have a bootable NPTL system?

> If you do this, you will also need to make sure your ld.so.conf and
> library symlinks are set up right; ldconfig is the usual way to do
> this.  In fact, I would recommend that you bring things up with
> busybox's init; busybox also implements ldconfig (if you configure it
> in) and related bits, so it's rather easier to get a functional
> userspace off the ground with it.  Next chance I get to look at this,
> I will be using PTXdist to build a busybox-centric userland; I will
> report on what I learn.

As far as I can tell, BusyBox doesn't include ldconfig.  But I shouldn't
really need it if all my libraries are in /lib, right?  (Maybe I'm
misunderstanding something)

--
Matthew L. Creech