Re: Off Topic: Finally installing Linux, sugestions for distos?

On 6/2/06, Bill Gatliff <bgat@billgatliff.com> wrote:
Daniel:

Grant Likely wrote:

> On 6/2/06, Daniel Santos <daniel@bytesage.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not much of a GUI guy as long as I have a terminal session I"m
>> usually happy.  But I do like to do stuff by GUI sometimes.
>>
>> Sorry for the off-topic, but I just wanted to get a little input from
>> other developers.  I think I need a real Linux system to do this
>> development.  I do enjoy the fact that I've been able to do so much on
>> this system so far with Cygwin, and it's already somewhat of a "Cygborg"
>> (running sshd, inetd, crond, syslogd, etc.etc.)
>

> I started with Red Hat,
> Then for a few years I was a happy Debian user,
> followed by a few years in Gentoo land;
> Now I walk the Ubuntu pastures.
>
> I've had great experiences in all three.  But really, you can't go
> very wrong with Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora Core.  All are easy to
> install, easy to use and easy to maintain.  Gentoo takes some more
> work; but rewarding none the less.

I followed the same progression, but I'm happily stuck at Debian.

If I had to do it all over again, I think I would start with Ubuntu or
Fedora.  Both have great installers, work on nearly everything you can
throw at them, and are well supported.

Debian, of course, rocks.  :)  But the currently-shipping installer can
be difficult for new users.  I've never used Gentoo.

I'm a newer kid on the block. Worked many years on Sun Solaris and Ultrix. The last two years+ I have been using Linux because of work. Because I showed up late I started with Fedora Core 2. I tried Fedora Core 4 but it worked so much differently than FC2 that I went back to FC2. I really like it.

Many of the other developers at my current job use Mandrake and I
don't hear anyone complaining.

That's my 2 cents.

-stv