[Fwd: Re: Add additional libraries to crosstool build script]

Ok, that was wierd, my post didn't go through...

Daniel
--- Begin Message --- Whee! I have the answer for you here (I think :)
The only thing I need to add is a few additional shared libraries and associated headers: png, jpeg, and zlib (libpng, libjpeg, and libz). Is it possible to modify the crosstool build script so that it automatically pulls the sources for these libraries and builds them with everything else? If not, are there any special tricks to build these libraries from scratch using my new cross toolchain?
* First off, I agree that this isn't part of the toolchain.
* Second, zlib doesn't support cross-compiling shared libraries using Cygwin. But I have a patch for that. The patch enables something else too, but I forget.
* Third there are some things broken on Cygwin by autoconf prior to 2.53b (but again, I forgot what it was). I'll probably remember tomorrow after I have slept.
* Finally, I've been obsessed with a semi-generic buildkit type of tool to help automate this very type of thing, i.e., scripting builds for libraries and applications where required source is downloaded, patches are patched, etc. The openezx.org website is down, unfortunately, but I'll attach it (it's small enough)

The product it's self is still alpha (like everything else) and it essentially defines a basic course, downloading src, extracting, configuring, making, installing, creating distributables (tarballs), etc, and these can be extended, modified, etc in a config file that is created for each library / app. Perhaps I've re-invented some wheel(s), but it's served my purposes and was quite educational. Also, this kit was designed with Motorola Linux phones specifically in mind, but I'm sure you can modify it slightly and get it to do what you want.

It comes with an "a780-example.config", feel free to chop all this up as you like (it's GPL), but it's basically a template for creating a config file for new packages. I've got configurations for coreutils, busybox, dropbear (enbedded ssh/sshd), zlib, ncurses, strace and bash-3.1. However, they don't all work. Specifically, scp in dropbear segfaults and others aren't very tested yet. Also, the docs are mostly out of date. Most of my patches were submitted to the original projects.

If it turns out that there isn't a comparable tool that's more developed (which I do sorta doubt), then I'll eventually improve it's ability to manage dependencies (which is almost non-existent), be more generic from an architecture standpoint, and output in .deb and/or .rpm.

http://www.javamonger.org/files/doit-0.2.tbz2

I hope it helps some
Daniel