Re: -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections have no effect

Valentin Longchamp wrote:

> > EXTRA_TARGET_CFLAGS="-mabi=aapcs-linux -ffunction-section -fdata-section"
> > export EXTRA_TARGET_CFLAGS
>
> However, using this, I get segfaulting binaries. Where should I add these
> options so that my glibc is built with these options ? Maybe I should add it
> to the GLIBC_EXTRA_CONFIG variable ?

I think you've got a typo there, they should be plural
(-ffunction-sections and -fdata-sections.)  See
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Optimize-Options.html#index-ffunction_002dsections-582>.

You might also consider trying a different C library like uClibc if
final binary size is a concern, given that glibc is not exactly designed
for this use case and has tons of inter-dependencies that can cause all
sorts of stuff to be pulled in even for the most trivial program.

Brian