RE: crosstool problem

On 10/26/06, Francois DERMU <francois@azureus-inc.com> wrote:
> My goal at the end of the day is to build a GCJ cross compiler for
> mips32 processor (should be the 'mipsel' TARGET option) so that I can
> execute a Java code in a router.
> So do I only need to compil GCC and it will also create all the other
> tools of GnuCompiler or do I need to do something ?
[Lehner, Michael]

Good morning,

I read in the crossgcc-mailing list, that you try to run Java on a MIPS
target. I am working on the same problem, but it is a mips64 in my case.
But I think we nevertheless could profit of each others experiences.

You are not running a java-VM on the MIPS I think, because its to big.
Is this right?
So you want to use your toolchain to compile your java-code to native
machine code. First I should tell you, that you will have to expect lots
of problems and you will have to change some of the input files. I hope
you know the basics of C.
I used the newest stable sources (binutils-2.17, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.4
[2.5 made more Problems and I was not sure if it is a stable release],
glibc-ports-2.4, linux-libc-headers-2.6.12.0, glibc-linuxthreads-2.5,
gdb-6.4).

Yesterday, after about 2 weeks of work, I had the first working
toolchain (with java) on my machine. But I first started only with c and
c++ because I expected extra problems with java and I was right. It was
about 1.5 weeks to get c and c++ an then (with the help of my new skills
I got from the first one) I needed another half week for java. But this
does not mean, that I now can execute java-code on my machine, now I
have to fix some dependencies on it, to get the programs run.

What operating system is on your router? I ask, because my next step
(after several tests with linux) will be to make a toolchain for mips,
without any operating system, to use java for programming applications
directly running on the target hardware.

But I am not sure whether we should discuss all our work in the mailing
list, but I think we will get some feedback if we annoy someone.

Michael