current status on building x86_64 toolchain?

  before i launch into my latest project involving building 64-bit
executables, a couple of questions.

1) i'm assuming that the "x86_64" designation is the proper one for
the AMD 64-bit (mobile) athlon, correct?

2) what's the absolutely latest combination that someone has built for
that target?  i ask since the current demo file refers to gcc-4.1.0
(which is all right) but still refers to glibc-2.3.6, which seems kind
of old.  in fact, all of the current demo files refer to an old
version of glibc, given that we're up to glibc-2.5 now.

is there a reason for that version of glibc and, if someone has
recently built that toolchain, feel free to let me know offline just
so i know it can be done using stock crosstool.

3) is there a prebuilt x86_64 toolchain out there just so i have
something to compare against?  thanks.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA