crosscompiling-arm.xscale

hi, I'm trying to build a crosscompiler for arm-xscale.
Following the Dan Kegel's guide crosstool-howto I run ""sh demo arm-xscale.sh"" but Returns this error:
<<checking whether the c compiler works... configure: error: cannot run c compiled programs.<<

I tried both this configurations with my ubuntu 6.06:
build-essentials (comprehends gcc 4.0)
but also gcc 3.3

i found it was necessary to install flex and bison, am I correct?

Can anyone help me? Should I use a prebuilt toolchain? Could you suggest me some of?

Thanks a lot