anyone using binutils 2.18? it won't build under crosstool.

I tried dropping binutils 2.18 into a working crosstool setup (in which I'm building on x86_64 a compiler to target i686 - crosstool is overkill here but it's a shared framework that also generates cross-compilers for arm & mips), and it seems that the newer configure script that comes with 2.18 does not work well the way crosstool (0.43) configures it.

I'll continue trying to track down the issue, but there's no point in duplicating effort - if someone else has already figured out a solution, please contact me. Otherwise, I'll post a patch once I have one.

The primary symptom is that it decides that ar should be i686-host_unknown-linux-ar (or maybe it was x86_64-host_unknown-linux-ar - I've been fiddling for a while), which of course does not exist, and then the make fails.