RE: Email-Adresses in clear text

On 25 September 2007 15:54, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:

> Now that he has been informed where it is, Mr. Heilpern should take the
> matter up with the appropriate administrators. However, it is
> appropriate that this matter was brought to the attention of other list
> participants.

  If you don't like the internet, you are free to get off it.

  Specifically, if you don't want your information to be widely circulated, DO
NOT POST IT TO A PUBLIC DISTRIBUTION MAILING LIST.  I would have thought this
was just plain common sense, but this is the internet, so I guess I have no
right to expect that.

> Ordinarily I would let this go at this point, but in light of your
> positive attitude and helpfulness, I would appreciate it if you would
> provide the paper mail address that should be used for legal notices to
> the operators of sourceware.org and its associated mailing lists. I am
> not threatening legal action, but I want to give counsel for
> sourceware.org the opportunity to assist the list administrator in
> making smarter decisions in the future.

  I hope you're a qualified lawyer, because to present legal advice when
unqualified is a serious offence in the USA.

  Oh, and P.S.:  Yes, you are attempting, in a feeble and pathetic way, to
threaten legal action.  Veiled indimidation of the most half-hearted nature.
Your denial belies its own intent.

>> I guess that means I should start sending out bills to everyone whose
>> email address I remove.  That's good news for me.  When the checks
>> start rolling in I can retire and not have to deal with tiresome email
>> discussions like this.
>
> In light of the possibility of an extortion charge could arise from that
> action -- which a clever prosecutor would convert to a racketering
> charge the minute you sent out the third bill, you might not want to do
> that.

  You haven't got a leg to stand on.  You posted your email to a public
mailing list.  It's your own fault if you do not know what you are doing.  Let
me spell it out for you:

a)  Party A sets up an automated system, consisting of mail server, with
automatic archiving and distribution service, and makes that system freely
available to all who wish to avail themselves of its services.

b)  Party B voluntarily and of their own free will, without coercion or
deception having been applied, makes use of said system, presumably in pursuit
of their own personal interests.  Much to Party B's surprise, said automatic
archiving and distribution system actually archives and distributes the
content posted by Party B to said system.  Shock horror!

c)  Party B wishes Party A to perform out-of-the-routine maintenance and admin
work on said system for reasons of personal preference based on their own
failure to understand said system before using it.  Party A is under no
contractual or other obligation to Party B.  If Party B wishes Party A to
perform work on their behalf, Party B must pay for Party A's time.

> If anybody actually decided to respond to your bill with the type
> of courtesy that you offered Mr. Heilpern, you might find yourself
> trading cigarettes in lieu of personal services. By all reports that
> would be unpleasant. Regardless, it does not seem like a good use of
> your talents.

  ROFL!!  "I sent my email to your mailing list and it ended up in the
archive, yuo must be some kind of evil terrorist !!!11!!!1!  I will sue you
for <inserts pinky in mouth>One MILLION dollars!".

  I haven't seen this kind of cartooneyism since I used to hang around on
Usenet.  You'd be a guaranteed KoTM award winner with this line.

    cheers,
      DaveK