RE: Error building glibc-2.3.2 for my arm-9tdmi-linux cross compiler on cygwin

On 18 January 2008 16:10, Kai Ruottu wrote:

> J Johnson wrote:
>> 1. download http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.43.tar.gz
>> 2. Unpack it using tar from \cygwin\bin (tar -xzvf crosstool-0.43.tar.gz)
>> 3. I edit the demo-arm9tdmi.sh to set TARBALLS_DIR manually (using gvim)
>> 4. execute the following command: >sh demo-armtdmi.sh
>>
> As an dissident I'm just wondering why the glibc-2.3.2 is tried to be
> built once again..

  :)

  Kai, you are of course right that it makes sense to save yourself the
trouble and just build it once (or even better use the authentic lib shipped
with the system involved), and that it's not just easier but guarantees
reliability (or at least bugward compatibility) in the sense that an existing
libc is a known quantity and if you rebuild it you run the risk of hitting
compiler bugs or other incompatibilities between compiler versions....

  ... but ...

  ... people just *want* to.  They just do.  Because of the noble desire of
the human spirit to learn and understand.  I don't think there's any use
banging your head against a brick wall over and over; I think you'll just have
to accept it.

>> FWIW, I was able to successfully build the same toolchain on linux last
>> night without issue.  It must be a cygwin thing...
>

> The glibc for the target was already built on Linux so why to do this
> again on Cygwin?
>
> I myself would only build the GNU binutils and GCC for the
> 'arm-9tdmi-linux' target and
> for the Cygwin host and wouldn't  care if the glibc-2.3.2 rebuild
> wouldn't succeed!

  So would I these days :)

    cheers,
      DaveK