Re: [CT_NG] Cross-compiler for Alpha architecture

Hello Ioannis!
Hello all!

On Friday 13 June 2008 18:17:02 Ioannis E dot Venetis wrote:
> Attached you can find a patch, which should be applied to the code that
> you will check-out from the trunk.

OK! Will apply tonight...

> It adds sub-menus to select the Alpha
> architecture and a specific model (EV4, EV5, EV56, etc. The list in the
> patch is not complete, however).

OK, I updated your patch to also set the ARCH_CPU and ARCH_TUNE accordingly,
allowing user to overide the default values.

> I have tried quite a few combinations of binutils/gcc/glibc/kernel
> versions (all for an Alpha EV56 processor), but was able to create only
> 1 cross-compiler, for the following versions:
> 1) binutils 2.17
> 2) gcc 4.2.4
> 3) glibc 2.3.6
> 4) kernel 2.6.24.7

Hmmm... not that bad :-)

> Well, this is actually the best I can do with the original crosstool
> too, but it is a start :-) I would like to be able, however, to create a
> cross tool-chain with more recent versions.

Not doing worse than the others does not mean we shouldn't improve. ;-)

> Changing versions of the above tools gives different errors. For
> example, if I change only the kernel to version 2.6.25.x, the following
> error appears:
> Installing C library
> [ERROR]    ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/alpha/sys/user.h:26:22: error:
> asm/page.h: No such file or directory

Seems to be the same as for ARM: asm/page.h is no longer exported by the
kernel headers_install, because it does not belong to userspace anyway. Look
at the patch/glibc/ports-2.6 there is already support for this problem, but
for ARM. Adapting to Alpha should be quite easy.

> [ERROR]    ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/alpha/sys/procfs.h:32:21: error:
> asm/elf.h: No such file or directory

I seem to recall a similar error some time ago. Browse the archives...

> If I change back to 2.6.24.7 and use binutils 2.18, then I get the error:
[--SNIP--]
> The build.log says:
[--SNIP--]
> [ALL  ]    ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/alpha/sigsuspend.S: Assembler
> messages:
> [ALL  ]    ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/alpha/sigsuspend.S:28: Error: CFI
> instruction used without previous .cfi_startproc
[--SNIP--]
> [ALL  ]    ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/alpha/sigsuspend.S:33: Error: open
> CFI at the end of file; missing .cfi_endproc directive

Google returned: http://bugs.debian.org/422067
Does that match? If so, try to grab the patch mentioned there, and apply
it (debian/patches/alpha/cvs-cfi.diff). Come back to us if it works.
I'll be able to do some ct-ng dev tonight (GMT+0200).

Good luck!

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | * _ * | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |