What does --enable-symvers do?

I am forced trying to get a new version of cross compiling tools to work,
and am hitting a lot of roadblocks.

First off, GCC 4.2.3 is what I'm trying.  It dies when configuring libstdc++
with the error message "error: Link tests are not allowed after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES."
just after "checking for shared libgcc".  The easiest way I can see to get around
this is to remove my "--enable-symvers=gnu" line.

But here's the question; what is "--enable-symvers"??  I only use this because
it was in crossgcc scripts, and just about every other cross compiler build
cript I've seen, so I copied it and used it.  I can not find anything on the
web that says what this is.  The only think I can think is that it might be
for shared libraries, which I absolutely do not use.  But all the build scripts
I've seen combine "--enable-symvers=gnu" with "--disable-shared".

Do I lose anything by removing --enable-symvers, or adding --enable-symvers=no?