Re: native builds

Arno,
Roland,

On Friday 27 February 2009 18:04:01 Arno Schuring wrote:
> I can't really help you with the ct-ng "native" option, but you should
> be able to "fake" a crosscompile target by using a slightly different
> triplet for all of your library/headers combo's.
[--SNIP--]
> I would advise you to change only the manufacturer part of the target
> triplet, so you'd get i686-libc21-linux-gnu, i686-libc22-linux-gnu etc.

Hey, you're faster-typing than me! ;-)

> > Is it possible to have "build==host!=target" where target
> > only differs in glibc/linux-headers ?
> Yes. LinuxFromScratch even builds a crosscompiler where
> build==host==target, but target uses a different dynamic loader
> (/tools/lib/ld.so).

Been a long time I haven't looked at LFS' build procedure. Might be a
good lecture again. Thanks for the reminder! :-)

> > Would I even need a cross compiler?
> Yes, because you want to generate code that cannot (might not) run on
> the build system. A Linux->MinGW compiler is also called a
> crosscompiler, even though (most of the time) they both run on Intel
> architecture.

Do not forget that, in the copmpiler land, a "machine" is not only referring
to the hardware, but also to a few other parts. Actually, a machine is
described by its tuple, which can be either a triplet (eg. arm-unknown-elf),
or a /quadruplet/ (eg. i386-pc-linux-gnu).

Have a look at:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=blob_plain;f=config.sub;hb=HEAD

around line 50, for a description of the tuples.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |