Re: Cannot build a gcc cross-compiler

Michael, booleandomain,
All,

On Wednesday 22 July 2009 12:00:46 Michael Abbott wrote:
> The automake issue is easy enough to sort: I have a makefile which wraps
> crosstool-ng, and the main thing it does of interest is install local
> copies of automake, autoconf, m4 and libtool (versions 1.10.2, 2.63,
> 1.4.12, 2.2.4 repectively).  Each is just a matter of
> 	./configure --prefix=${TOOLKIT_ROOT} && make install
> and then I run crosstool-ng with ${TOOLKIT_ROOT}/bin on the path.
>
> Perhaps crosstool-ng could do this bit, maybe my makefile could be
> modified to be helpful?

Well, I try to put a clear frontier at what crosstool-NG should build
and what it should expect to be already present.

If I add automake et al. to the build procedure, that means new tools for
which I'll have to check for patches, that I'll have to update, and that
I'll have to find/check dependencies of at ./configure-time.

That's quite a burden, and I already lack time to correctly do the stuff
with the existing tools, that I am reluctant to adding new ones... :-(

OTOH, automake et al. are really a pain in the @ss, and they are good
candidates for being handled by crosstool-NG. I'm open to patches to this
effect... (Like, add new steps that do what your Makefile does.)

> Yeah, the documentation here is pretty horrible.

Don't tell me... ;-)

> Well, what crosstool-ng does is pretty informative: it's pretty nicely
> structured, I think.

Thanks! :-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |