Re: building for Cortex M3

Allen,
All,

On Monday 19 October 2009 22:51:46 Allen Curtis wrote:
> I would like to build a toolchain for the Cortex M3. The sample
> configurations include a Cortex A8. Is it as simple as changing the A8
> references in .config to M3?

The Cortex-M3 is a Thumb2-only processor. I'm not so sure how binutils, gcc
and the C libraries handle this case. Search the archives, there has been a
thread on the subject some time ago.

If all goes well, you should set the following:
CT_ARCH_ARCH: armv7-m     (I'm not so sure about that one, if it fails,
                           leave the field empty)
CT_ARCH_CPU : cortex-m3
CT_ARCH_TUNE: cortex-m3

Do it within the 'menuconfig', it's easier than editing the .config file.

> Actually, I am a little surprised that this isn't a standard
> configuration considering the number of popular processor based on
> this processor.

As I have no way to test such a toolchain, I don't provide a sample for it.
If you manage to make it work, then I would be glad you submit your .config
for inclusion.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.