Re: Sample Questions and s390/s390x status

Harold,
All,

On Friday 13 November 2009 14:37:36 Harold Grovesteen wrote:
> I have noticed that there are a number of paths in the configuration.
> Some I have tailored for my purposes.  What is the expectation with
> regards to these settings in the sample configs?  I would prefer to get
> this right rather than having to redo the patches to satisfy an
> undocumented expectation.

Normally, when you run "ct-ng saveconfig", a sanity pass is done.
See below as well.

> Suggestion for Yann, a section in the overview.txt on what should or
> should not be set in the samples with regard to the environment would be
> good.  How should the tarball directory or prefix, etc., be set for a
> sample to be acceptable.

OK, that's a good idea. I'll tackle that when I get some time (may be late
in the WE).

> I spent a fair amount of time yesterday backing out the suggested config
> settings.  Each toolchain build takes about 35 minutes on my machine, so
> this is time consuming.  The good news is that they run perfectly fine.
> TLS was detected.  Threads were properly built.  Default optimization
> worked.  Binutils cross tool supports 32 and 64 bit ELFS.

Well, that's all good news! I'm eager to review your next round of
patches! :-)

> All of the
> source is still unpatched, not having applied the supplied patches.

Ha! That's why you direct crosstool-NG to use local patches, and point
it to an empty directory! You want to avoid using patches _at_all_.
It may ask for a config knob, then.

> have yet to change the variable settings in s390[x].sh as suggested.
> That is for this morning.

Coffee break, is it? ;-)

> On the next set of patches:
> Yann, it would really be easier for me to submit both architectures and
> samples as one patch.  Are you willing to accept these changes that
> way?  That would eliminate the need to go through the patch build
> exercise multiple times and eliminate the "clean" issue with s390.  Just
> asking.

OK. Send both arch in a single patch, provided that there only is
arch support code, not any other fix.

> On the glibc configuration issue I first encountered:
> So far this has not reappeared.  I supplied a fresh install directory
> and it did not happen.  Based upon Mike's input, I suspect it only
> happens on a fresh install when there is nothing left over from a
> previous build.  There is also no answer to why by glibc patch appeared
> to get past the issue.  I am going to try building with an empty target
> directory to see if this reproduces the problem.  I really want to be
> confident this issue does not hit someone who attempts to build one of
> these toolchains with crosstool-ng the first time.

Well, that may warrant using the bundled patches. You should give a
try at building your toolchain, using the patches.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.