Re: Mac OS X compiling

Hi,

On Nov 16, 2009, at 4:28 PM, Yann E. MORIN wrote:

> Hello Ryan!
> Hello All!
>
> On Monday 16 November 2009 21:22:08 Ryan Govostes wrote:
>> I'm trying to use crosstool-NG on OS X
>
> OS-X is strange, yes. I don't have it, so I have to rely on others
> (like you) to report success/failure.
>
>> to build for the x86_64-elf target.
>> I haven't gotten very far yet so I'll let you know how it goes once I make
>> more progress, but first I thought I'd ask about a few things:
>>
>> 1) crosstool-NG's configure script rejects OS X's sed because it doesn't
>> support GNU's -r flag, as you note on your website. However, the FreeBSD
>> version does support -E, which would appear to do the same thing. What do
>> you think about having configure autodetect the correct flag to support
>> FreeBSD-based systems better?
>
> Do you have a man page for the sed in the *BSD world? (I mean: can you send
> me a man page.)

Here is the manpage that I see:

http://www.ipnom.com/FreeBSD-Man-Pages/sed.1.html

http://www.ipnom.com/FreeBSD-Man-Pages/stat.1.html

> Wouldn't it be easier if you install the Ports collection?

Probably, but in my opinion this is not a graceful solution; my computer most likely has all dependencies already, I don't want to install, e.g., two copies of sed just because there are minor differences in argument conventions.

I'm attaching a patch to the configure script. Since I'm not too familiar with the build system I'd like some feedback on it while I continue to make more changes. Here is what is new:

1) More effective detection of sed parameters. Checks for the correct format of the zero-length -i option, as well as -r vs -E for extended regex.

2) More effective detection of libtool / libtoolize. Looks for glibtool / glibtoolize if the first check fails.

3) More effective of detection of stat. So far, just determines whether to pass -c or -f, but since the format strings are different, this should be elaborated on.

4) Custom implementation of recursive readlink (i.e., `readlink -e`). This option is not supported on BSD, so we simulate it.

I think the options detected during configuration still need to be somehow passed through to the build scripts, since right now they are used to generate the Makefile and then go out of scope.

Regards,
Ryan Govostes