Re: How to request -mthumb to be applied to all tools built for arm

Hi Yan, List

I am withdrawing my question about making -mthumb default compilation
option, and here comes the the question - how to specify
compilation/configuration options to the tools which are a part of
toolchain,

Suppose I want to build libstc++ using -mthumb, how can this be achieved ?
I was trying to change manually Makefile.am in the
targets/src/gcc-4.4.1/libstdc++-v3/src/Makefile.am  but it does not copied
the -mthumb to the generated Makefile in the build area.

Regards,
Lev

> Hello Lev, All,
>
> On Thursday 31 December 2009 10:32:27 lev@lingnu.com wrote:
>> I took the Mercurial snapshot a5020a1facff
>> 1. ./configure --local
>>     Refused to accept local
>
> What's the exact message it printed ?

    I was not able to reproduce it again
>> 2. ./configure
>>     complains to the absebce of hg (mercurial) and stops
>
> Yes, it is expected that people that use a snapshot (or a clone) of
> the repository will do changes in the code, and eventually submit those
> changes, so it is expected they have Mercurial installed.
>
>> 3. ct-ng build with config set as
>>    CT_ARCH_ARM_MODE_THUMB=y
>>    CT_ARCH_ARM_INTERWORKING=y
>
> I guess if you want Thumb, you do not necessarily need Interworking.
> And the other way around.
>
> It is to be noted, however, that the EABI mandates interworking support.
>
>>    fails in
>> DEBUG]    ==> Executing: 'make -j1
>> CROSS=arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi-
>
> To my knowledge, neither glibc, eglibc nor uClibc builds in Thumb-only
> mode.
> You may have the best luck with eglibc, but that's not guaranteed.
>
> For now, you're stuck with building a bare-metal toolchain with newlib.
>
> I know the guys at ARM managed to build a Linux kernel using pure Thumb2,
> and that it's now mainline, but so far I have not seen any 'Linux' libc
> build in pure Thumb mode.

  I am not sure , -mthumb produced Thumb2 assembly ?