Re: crosstool-ng: Dangling symlink "terminfo" from ncurses

On 01/10/2010 06:54 PM, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
What I'd really like is to get rid of ncurses at all. crosstool-NG builds
ncurses for the target because I was unable to tell gdb not to use ncurses.

I see, well it doesn't look like a simple configure issue. They've hard wired libreadline in a few places, some can be disabled (like tui), but others look like they just outright demand libreadline.

I did some work earlier on libedit, a readline equivalent from Minix/*BSD. It has some readline compatibility stuff that could perhaps be used instead of libreadline. (libedit uses simple termios instead of the full shebang readline/ncurses does.)

If someone finds the correct incantation to this effect, then we'd be able
to get rid of ncurses. In the meantime, I don't care ncurses doing weird
things, of which installing a dangling symlink is the least annoying of
all (but still it is, I agree). Let's keep it that way.

OK. I worked around it for now by selecting static gdb and gdbserver -- because it didn't really look like the ncurses lib(s) got installed in the target system (debug-root) when I deselected static. Maybe a latent bug?

I'll see if I can look into these issue again later.

Regards
 /Joachim