Re: crosstool-ng: Dangling symlink "terminfo" from ncurses

Joachim, All,

On Wednesday 13 January 2010 00:56:30 Joachim Nilsson wrote:
> I see, well it doesn't look like a simple configure issue.  They've hard
> wired libreadline in a few places, some can be disabled (like tui), but
> others look like they just outright demand libreadline.

Oh, that makes sense, then...

> I did some work earlier on libedit, a readline equivalent from
> Minix/*BSD.  It has some readline compatibility stuff that could perhaps
> be used instead of libreadline.  (libedit uses simple termios instead of
> the full shebang readline/ncurses does.)

Even in that case, that would also require a library. I'd stick with
ncurses for now, it's working fine, and ncurses is pretty standard...

> OK.  I worked around it for now by selecting static gdb and gdbserver --
> because it didn't really look like the ncurses lib(s) got installed in
> the target system (debug-root) when I deselected static.  Maybe a latent
> bug?

Yep, definitely... :-( The solution would be to build a static-only
libncurses, so even if gdb uses shared libc, it would not require shared
libncurses on the target, which could be entirely missing, or worse,
could be different from the one used to build gdb... I'll look at the
issue tonight. Thanks for raising it!

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.