Re: ct-ng, arm, newlib build error

On 01/15/10 18:03, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Jonathan, All,
>
> On Friday 15 January 2010 11:51:04 Jonathan Cameron wrote:
>> Has anyone seen this problem? It is occurring on one of my two machines
>> (gentoo box running pretty recent versions of everything).
>
> And does it work on the other machine?
It builds and all looks good, but I'm getting random crashes on the board
in question that don't occur with a hand built toolchain using the same
versions of gcc newlib etc.  So something is up.  I'll take a look at
what is different at somepoint soonish.

>> This problem
>> occured with the current mercurial tree.
>
> I see you're using newlib-1.18.0. It's been only recently introduced, and
> I haven't had time to play with it yet.
>
> Also, as stated in the TODO at the root of the crosstool-NG tree:
> ---8<---
> - update newlib (for enhanced bare metal)
>   - confirm existing implementation on targets other than AVR32
>   - try to make it generic, will help for uClibc++
> ---8<---
>
> Which should be obvious that newlib support is kind of Work In Progress.
> It is currently really EXPERIMENTAL. I managed to build a newlib-based
> arm toolchain, and you should start off with it:
Sure: I'm just a perpetual optimist, and the option is very useful so I thought
I'd give it a go.

> # ct-ng show-arm-bare_newlib_cortex_m3_nommu-eabi
> arm-bare_newlib_cortex_m3_nommu-eabi  [l X]
>     OS            : bare-metal
>     GMP/MPFR      : gmp-4.3.1 / mpfr-2.4.1
>     PPL/CLOOG/MPC : ppl-0.10.2 / cloog-0.15.7 / mpc-0.7
>     binutils      : binutils-2.19.1
>     C compiler    : gcc-4.4.1 (C,C++)
>     C library     : newlib
>     Tools         :
>
> As you already experienced, be prepared fro breakage, though...
>
>> [ERROR]    Error happened in '/usr/local/lib/ct-ng-hg_default@1725_dbd5078816f9/scripts/functions' in function 'CT_DoExecLog' (line
> [--SNIP--]
>
> What is really important is the complete log file, as pointed to by
> the excerpt you quoted:
fair point, attached.  At first glance it isn't a great deal more informative.
Actually this precise log is the cvs version of newlib. Same thing at least superficially
occurs with 1.17 and 1.18 releases.

>> [ERROR]    Look at '/home/jic23/x-tools/arm-at91sam7_nommu-eabi/build.log' for more info on this error.
>> [ERROR]  (elapsed: 14:22.50)
>> [14:30] / make: *** [build] Error 2

> Compress '/home/jic23/x-tools/arm-at91sam7_nommu-eabi/build.log' with bzip2
> (or lzma) and send it (if it's above ~1MiB once compressed, send it to me
> privately, so as not to flood the list, please).
>
> Without the content of that file, we can't really know what's going on.

Fair point.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Jonathan